Wednesday, February 06, 2008

It all started....

...back in the summer of '07. Those were the days. It was hard living, tough times, but we knew the value of a dollar, and we were thankful to dig holes for a living! Eherm. Sorry, got to waxing a bit nostalgic there.
Anyway, last summer Ryan shared a bit of his extensive music collection with me, including several tracks from Queen albums. Since then evolution has taken place and I can honestly say that I believe I have morphed into a pretty hardcore Queen fan.
Big whoop, some of you may be saying, but let me continue. My saying that I am "into" any band is a pretty big deal. Mostly I evaluate music on a song-by-song basis, and the number of bands or artists that I can say I like across the board can be counted on one hand. Less than one hand.
I've not found a Queen song yet that I absolutely can't stand. I like some much more than others, granted, but none that I hate.
I've put a couple of music videos/concert clips into this post for you to watch. And by "a couple" I mean "I've narrowed it down to just six." Hey, don't play down the effort that that took. If you don't like one, go on to the next. That's kind of the beauty of Queen, they pulled off such an amazing range of styles. It helped that their lead singer, Freddie Mercury could sing just about anything and make it sound good.
And the guitarist, Brian May, built his own electric guitar with his dad. That is just awesome. Out of wood from an old mantle. More awsome.






































Did you like those? Well of course you did. Here, I've linked a few more for you just because, well, I can:

The Miracle
These Are the Days of Our Lives
One Vision
Don't Stop Me Now
Save Me
I Was Born to Love You
Anyway, now I just need to get a couple of their albums.
And a poster. And a t-shirt. And a calendar...

Thanks Ryan.

~ Me: "Are you-"
~ Kyle: "Yes."

5 comments:

Ryan said...

Yay! Makes me really happy you've become such a Queen fan. If you'd like, I can give you copies of *all* of my Queen albums. About 430 tracks, 24+ albums...I could transfer them all to your laptop via my external hard drive.

Renee L. said...

*gasp!*
That would be really fantastic!
I'd certainly be in your debt.

24+ albums? That must mean that you have just about all that they did right?

luckeyfrog said...

I think Queen is one of those bands that anyone with half a musical ear will appreciate if they just listen to them. Maybe they won't like them, but there's too much talent there to not appreciate 'em.

I also think it makes sense that if normally you just like a few songs from a band, that you might like Queen. They have a lot of variety in a very good way (because of multiple songwriters/ voices/ styles/ genres/ ranges).

There are a few of "Ryan's bands" that I listen to now and never did before, but I think Queen is probably the one I listen to the most out of those, and possibly the only one I know enough music from to really consider myself a 'fan.'

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I agree that Queen is pretty awesome, and definitely worth checking out if someone's never listened to them much before.

Ryan said...

I do have just about their entire collected works, yes. I can give you some solo Brian May and Freddie Mercury stuff as well.

Lemme know when and where you want to do the switch, and we'll make it happen.

Renee L. said...

Anytime! You name when's good for you and I'll be there!

Also, I've recently learned how to exchange money, bits of paper, or small packets of drugs very subtley via handshake, so if that can be utilised, all the better.