Sunday, January 21, 2007

I'm happy, I swear it...

...So I was thinking today about the enigma of relationships. I'd just like to say that there are some people in the world that are not diatomic. Quite frankly I think humanity in general would be better off if they weren't so absolutely absorbed in finding someone "to make them happy." If you are not happy with yourself, you'll never meet someone that will make the world bright and cheerful for you. And it bothers me when people think that they will find that.
Being someone who has been pressured many times to form romantic relationships, simply for the sake of saying that I have one apparently, I take offense. (If I just wanted to say it I would you know. I do routinely make things up for fun and profit.) I resent the idea that the general public would try to deny that I can be perfectly happy while single. I am, in fact, pretty darn perfectly happy.
Do I like complete isolation? No. But they did invent friends for a reason you know. (And guys, I value that more then you'll probably ever know. But that's another post.) I'll tell you what I do like. I like the fact that I am capable of enjoying solitude. I like the fact that my happiness doesn't depend on another human. I like the fact that beside me I have pieces of graph paper that have the plans that I have drawn for a house that I would like to build for myself someday. It has one bedroom. I imagine myself in it. Alone. And it's beautiful.
I'm happy, I swear it...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There are times that I feel like I'd be perfectly happy as a hermit. However, they don't last long. I'm pretty darn content, but I'd be lost without my friends. I won't lie, I'm jonesin' for a girl, but it's okay if she doesn't show up in my life anytime soon. I miss the physical parts of a relationship though. But that, as you say, would be another post. But yeah, I feel your angle, ReneƩ.

Anonymous said...

Here here, to the Gentlelady from Indiana, well spoken. As a 25 (blush) year old single woman and the eldest child I have felt tremendous pressure in this reguard! Not only to marry, but to reproduce (a lot). And like it or not we still have the "old world" stigma here in the free US OF A that the eldest must to attached before the younger. Only yesterday, it seems two of my bosses at separate store locations (they don't even like each other, but my "plight" caused them to step outside their own feelings to unite in "thinking up a plan" for me, towards the indention, "so that you can be happy, and have love and all that") A "free gift" (aren't all gifts by nature free?) of an Eharmony.com membership on the condition that I agree to "go out with at least 3 guys in the first month", cause, "it won't work unless you agree to it". No duh!!! I sweetly replied, " How nice of you. Why so I can be as happy as you are?" To which much coughing and flushered admonitions of in fact how deliriously happy they were with thier mate insued. Guess they forgot I'm the one they generally whine to about their miserable spouses everyday, so let's just say that the panty lines were showing, and my point was taken. Not that I'm against marriage, I'm against some of the people who enter it. Would I consider it someday, perhaps, but not at this point in my life. And, like yourself I strongly resent the "you-must-be-tragically-flawed-as-a-single-person" or the "you-just-need-to-get-out-there-and-look" camps of thought. Not all single people are happy and not all married people are happy. As you so stated it is an individual process