Thursday, July 06, 2006

Book review...

...time ladies and gents! At this time I am reading book no. 2 (entitled: The Stone of Tears) in the 8 book The Sword of Truth series. It's superb, very edge-of-your-seat kind of reading. It is fantasy (you know, magic, dragons, wizards, all that good stuff) but extremely well written. It really draws you in. You find yourself thinking about the characters at unusual, un-book-related times during the day, and wishing you could get back to reading the book instead of eating, sleeping, studying, working, or whatever else you do.
The author has a rather unique way of pulling the plot line off in different directions. He leaves one or two characters somewhere and does a chapter (or a few) on somebody else. That sounds confusing with the way I just put it, but it's really not.
Now I will say that I do not recommend these books for the extremely young, innocent or faint of heart. They are books about a war, and they are detailed.
There are a couple scenes that I've noticed seem to drag on a bit. You get the gist of it and are ready to move on, but the characters just keep talking and talking and talking. I've written a couple scenes like that myself, so I'm not about to call the kettle black. All I'm saying is you might find yourself skimming a bit during these parts, but the rest of the excellent writing more the makes up for it!
I'm not a big crier (at least not over books) but there have been a couple scenes in these books that had even me tearing up. That's good writing!
So children, the moral of the story is that you should go the your local library and check out the first book in the series. It's called Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind.

No comments: